Want to find the best travel power bank for your adventures, hiking, or backpacking across Europe trip? Then you’ll love our in-depth nine best and most reliable portable chargers that fit your needs.
Having the Best Power Bank for travel in modern times is even more important than ever. Because having your devices charged and full of life is of the utmost importance, especially when you’re exploring a new city or country.
Personally, we use our phones for snapping quick photos, translating apps, GPS, buying online tickets for museums/events to attend, train/bus tickets, and emergencies. So having the best power bank that can do important functions such as charging multiple devices, being a lightweight power bank, and being a high-capacity power bank are all features we look for when we shop around.
Why Should You Research The Best Travel Power Bank?
What happened to us because we never realized how vital power banks are?
Another reason our phones are so important is that our mother makes us share our location with her. After all, she thinks she will go all “Liam Neeson” in Taken if something happens to us. So, having a power bank that lasts us the whole day and gives us at least a few charges is paramount.
Y and I were complete newbies and were so unprepared when it came to our very first trip abroad. Between the excitement of our first-ever trip abroad and the last-minute packing, we completely spaced and forgot to bring a power bank with us.
So, when we arrived in Italy, we had to buy a power bank or miss our train because our train tickets and platform information were on our phones, and our phones were dead. All because we managed to pack our lightning cables in our checked luggage and not our carry-on so that we couldn’t charge our phones mid-flight.
At last, we stumbled into this tourist trap of a shop while in the train station and paid 60 euros for a power bank that gave us just enough charge to hop on our train and make it to our Airbnb. Eventually, that power bank died from the sand and water stuck in it and the multiple drops onto hard concrete. The story’s moral is to pack a durable power bank or travel without a heavy duty power bank at your own risk.
This post covers what we consider the best power banks for travel that you’ll want to consider getting!
Disclaimer: Please, do your research on TSA guidelines, as they are constantly changing. Also, please know that our opinion is just that, an opinion and not professional advice of any kind, and that what we consider to be the best may not be your definition of best.
What To Look For In A Power Bank For Travel?
When choosing the perfect power bank, you want to keep in mind a few things, such as
- usb ports types such as USB C port, lightning, USB A output port, HDMI, Micro, AC, etc.
- mAh/Watt output
- weather, water, fire resistance
- wired/wireless charging
- meets TSA guidelines for air travel
- Safety Measures for charging
What To Know When Traveling With A Portable Power Bank
No one wants to show up at the airport and have to throw away their expensive and equally impressive external battery pack because it’s over the allowed limit, and they can’t take it on their flight. After all, if you’re like us, you’re the type to guzzle down a full water bottle so that it doesn’t go to waste before you go through TSA, so throwing away a whole high-capacity power bank for a flight would not fly with you or us (no pun intended).
Anyways, let’s get down to business. We did tons of research, read many reviews, asked people we know in real life what qualities they prefer in power banks, and used our own experiences to come down to the absolute best portable charger in a few different categories. The reason for different types?
Not everyone needs the same thing from their power bank for travel. Some prioritize portability, power, aesthetics, durability, etc. However, these power banks all have in common that they are not only TSA-safe but contain most of the qualities we can all agree on that make a great portable charger for traveling.
First things first, let’s discuss TSA guidelines. TSA puts a max on the size and number of lithium-ion batteries you can fly with; sizing or power is measured in mAh/W. The higher the mAh, the stronger/longer the battery pack is. TSA limits this to under 27,000 mAh. The reason is that batteries are incredibly flammable and can combust and short circuit.
Hence, battery packs and devices such as laptops must go in carry-ons inside the cabin where they’re accessible and easily extinguishable should a fire happen. Any battery packs over 27,000 mAh have to be approved by the airline and packed as instructed by the airline. Due to this caution and extra step, we recommend only battery packs and portable chargers under the 27,000 mAh limit.
After much deliberation, here is our verdict.
BEST POWER BANKS FOR TRAVEL
1. Best Overall Power Bank Everyone Needs When Traveling
We love it: This battery pack has all the right features in the perfect package. It’s slim, and lightweight yet can charge several devices, has high-speed charging, and has a nice fabric exterior, so it’s not a total eyesore. The device is also certified safe with the Anker multi-protect safety system and has a great manufacturer’s warranty should anything go wrong with the device.
Best Overall Power Bank Specs:
- Battery: Lithium-polymer, 20,000 mAh
- Amperage: 3A
- Voltage: 5 volts
- Battery Recharger: 6.5 hours
- Charging interface power bank: USB 3.0
- Charging interface connected devices: USB type C, USB type A so you can charge multiple devices at once.
- Compatibility: Apple, Android phones and tablets
- Warranty: 18 months
- Height: 0.76, Length: 2.93, Width: 6.22 and a weight of Weight: 0.755
- Color: Grey
- The last thing we want or you want is to be lugging around a heavy and thick charger; that’s why we like this one for its slim and lightweight design.
- You won’t have to worry about running out of a charge when you have an enormous power bank like this; its capacity is 20,000 mAh, so you’ll always be prepared.
- In case you forgot to charge your phone, iPad, and other gadgets, this travel-friendly battery pack has got your back with the ability to charge up to three devices simultaneously.
- I don’t know about you guys, but how a power bank looks can dictate if we will buy it. However, this only happens if it comes down to being a draw for the critical factors; then, we will choose aesthetic value as the determining factor. We like this one because of its fabric exterior. It looks like something you would use daily in the corporate world and avoids that tacky look some chargers can have.
- Anker stands by its brand and products, and that’s why they always have excellent warranties on their products and have safety features built in to keep you and your items safe.
- The reviews for it are top-notch, and the overall consensus is most people love this reliable battery pack
- Doesn’t come with a charging cord for the power bank itself.
- If you’re messy or outdoorsy, the fabric material might be a turn-off since it’s harder to wipe down.
2. Get The Most For Your Dollar: Best Budget Power Bank For Travel
Why we love it: This travel power bank comes in two colors, so there’s room for versatility, and it’s super-slim, so it could go into your pocket or backpack without being too bulky. It also has a good quality exterior meant to be scratch and drop-resistant up to 1 meter.
Budget Power Bank Specs:
- Battery: Lithium-polymer, 10,000 mAh
- The recharge time of the power bank is 4.5 hours
- Amperage: 2.4A
- Charging interface power bank: USB C port or USB-micro
- Charging interface connected devices: USB-micro, USB
- Warranty: 25,000 connected equipment warranty, Anker multi protect safety system
- Dimensions: Height: 0.59 inches, Length: 5.89 inches, Width: 2.7 inches, and Weight: 7.4 oz
- Compatibility: iPhone, Androids, and tablets.
- Colors: White
- At this price point, this is a steal! It is aesthetically pleasing with a white finish and slim design and is very budget-friendly.
- There is no need to worry about frying your phone; this charger has warranty-connected equipment (read the contract for details).
- We always worry about blasting our AirPods to Jupiter with fast chargers, but this one can trickle charging mode, so there is no need to worry.
- Advanced Power IQ and voltage boost technology so you’re charging with the latest technology and saving time.
- Durable, scratch-resistant, and drop resistant because you’re bound to drop it a couple of times when life happens.
- It doesn’t come with cords, but that’s probably to keep the price low.
- You can’t use both inputs at the same time.
- Only 10,000 mAh, but it’s relatively cheap, so it’s to be expected.
3. Best Wireless Power Bank for Travel
We love it: If you haven’t tried an Anker product, you need to get one stat! Anker makes quality power banks that fit all sorts of needs. This one, for example, features a built-in stand to hold your phone while charging, which is not life-changing but is a pretty nifty feature.
It also has reliable wireless charging capabilities with the Qi-certified charging up to 10W. So you don’t have to worry about packing too many extra cords in your day bag while traveling. Instead, plop your phone on it while having lunch, and you’ll get some charge!
Power Bank Specs:
- Battery capacity: 10,000 mAh
- Recharge time: 4.5 hours
- Charging interface power bank: USB C port
- Charging interface connected devices: USB-C port, USB-A, wireless charging,
- Compatibility: iPhone and most Androids that take USB C ports
- Warranty: 18-month warranty
- Dimensions: Height: 0.77 inches, Length: 2.7 inches, Width: 5.89 inches
- Color: Black
- Charges up to 3 devices simultaneously,
- It supports fast wireless charging and supports pass-through charging
- The Power Core can fast charge most devices such as phones, tablets, or ebooks.
- It doesn’t work with Apple, or Samsung watches =(
- No MagSafe, so it’s not going to click into place like MagSafe wireless chargers. This means you have to use the wireless charger stationary because constant movement will misalign the charger.
4. The Best Power Bank For Travel
We love it: This is the most portable tiny power bank we have ever come across! It’s super travel-friendly and fits in most people’s palms. While not sacrificing battery capacity with its compact 10,000 mAh of power. This must-have travel essential is perfect for days when you want to carry the least amount possible but still cover your bases. It fits perfectly in your jeans or purse, so portability is a crucial feature of this product.
Travel Portable Charger Specs:
- Battery: 10,000 mAh
- Charging interface power bank: Micro Input and USB C.
- Charging interface connected devices: 2 USB A ports
- Warranty: 24-month warranty
- Dimensions: Weight: 6.5 ounces, L and W 3.1 inches with a thickness of 0.9 inches.
- Colors: Black, Blue, and Red
- This travel power bank’s compact and slim design is hard to beat; it nailed almost all the requirements we look for in a product-specific for travel.
- LED display, so you don’t have to worry about looking at flashing lights to determine the charge.
- Safety built-in mind with short circuit protection, overcharge protection, temperature protection, and other cool safety features.
- We honestly love this product for travel, and it nails most of our requirements.
- One sore spot is the price, it’s a little spendy, but it is travel friendly, designed with aesthetics in mind, and packs a punch with 10,000mAh, so we can see how they justify the pricing.
- However, it did miss the fast charging via USB C instead of USB A output ports.
5. Best Budget Lightweight & Compact Power Bank For Travel
Why we love it: You are probably wondering why we included a similar compact portable charger, but we wanted to mention a device that is budget-friendly and compact. This small and compact travel essential is incredible because it features built-in lightning and USB C ports and cables, so you don’t have to worry about bringing extras. It also fits 6000 mAh of power in a petite frame.
Portable Battery Specs:
- Battery: 6,000 mAh
- Voltage: 5V and 2 amp via USB C
- Dimensions: credit card size and weight: 100 g
- Charging interface power bank: Micro USB cable and USB C cable
- Charging interface connected devices: USB A
- Warranty: 18-month warranty
- Colors: Black
- Compatibility: iPhone and Android, and tablets/Ebooks.
- You get the portability of the most costly tiny power banks but pay a great price! It also includes its cords, so you don’t have to worry about bringing your cords.
- Has excellent reviews for its reliability, budget-friendly, and portability.
- 6,000 mAh is not a ton to work with; however, this is a pretty small power bank and is perfect in the travel aspect.
- Some reviews have stated that the built-in wires are not high quality; with this in mind, I would bring a cord if you are out and about traveling. If you’re using it daily, though, and it’s not a dire need, use the built-in ones.
6. Best Multi-Use Power Bank For Traveling
We love it: This is the first charger we found that is portable and travel-friendly while having a built-in AC plug for a faster and more convenient charger. It also includes a micro, USB C, and integrated lightning cable built into the portable charger.
Battery Charger Specs:
- Battery Capacity: 10,000 mAh, Lithium Polymer
- Charging interface power bank: AC PLug and Micro
- Charging interface connected devices: USB C, USB A, and Micro
- MAX output port 5V
- Compatibility: iPhone, Androids, Tablets, Ebooks
- Warranty: unknown
- Dimensions: L 6.3 x W 3 and thickness 0.6
- Color: Grey and white
- It comes with three charging cords that will connect to phones, androids, and tablets.
- Built-in AC plug for easy access charging
- Safe charging with ETL certification lets you have peace of mind with short circuit protection, heat protection, etc.
- Supports pass-through charging
- We researched and went over reviews, but we could not find any warranty information.
- A common issue with built-in wires, they go bad eventually, especially the iPhone wire on this model, and we would advise bringing your own just in case.
7. Best Portable Chargers For Laptops
We love it: If your laptop is attached to your hip like ours, you need a compatible power bank that can effectively charge your computer when traveling. The issue with that is most laptop power banks are over the TSA limit for capacity. We love this travel power bank because it hits all our requirements for traveling: by having 20,000 mAh plus, it is capable of fast and pass-through charging and has nifty wireless charging.
best portable charger for laptop Specs
- Weight: 1.1 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 4.8 x 1.1 inches
- Battery Capacity: 20,000 mAh
- Fast charging
- Wireless charging capable
- Charging interface connected devices: USB C, USB A outport port, DC, and AC output ports.
- Compatibility: Supports laptops, consoles, tablets, phones, cameras, and more.
- USB hub for data transferring
- Warranty: One-year limited warranty
- Colors: Only available in black
- Charging: Can charge up to 100W output via DC and AC outputs and take in 45W input
- This power bank does everything we need it to do for travel. It is strong enough to charge laptops and iPads on the go efficiently.
- It can be a hub for transferring photos or files with file transfer capabilities—a feature we don’t often see in power banks but can be very useful.
- The Omni 20 USB-C+ can re-charge the battery pack in 3 hours! That’s pretty fast for such a large device.
- Price: Its the most expensive item on this list
- Mainly found online and is hard to find in person at stores. Thus you’ll have to order it ahead of time.
- It goes out of stock frequently.
- The warranty isn’t anything special and is only a one-year limited warranty.
8. Best Lightweight Portable Charger For iPhone
Anker Magnetic Portable Charger for iPhone
We love it: We heard about this mag-safe portable charger from our good friend. He loved it and showed it off while we were out and about. We love it because it fits with Apple’s aesthetically pleasing brand. It’s a slim, lightweight MagSafe charger that sticks to your phone via MagGO technology.
Power Bank For Travel Specs:
- MagGo Technology attaches to MagSafe back on iPhone for effortless charging on the go. So, there’s no need to worry about messy wires when bouncing bar to bar in Las Vegas.
- Comes in 5 beautiful colors: Buds green, lilac purple, dolomite white, interstellar grey, and misty blue.
- 5000 mAh Battery capacity: you can expect it to charge your iPhones 13/12 and 13 pro/ 12 pro at about 0.8 charges. Expect only half a charge for the 13 pro max and 12 pro max.
- Charges at a max of 7.5W.
- Weight: 5 ounces
- USB C input and out output
- 24-month Warranty
- This wireless power bank has a Built-in kickstand so you can watch your favorite TikTok while traveling and charging.
- Includes a worry-free 24-month warranty
- Safety is built in mind with ankers MultiProtect technology with temperature control, overload protection, and other valuable features, so you don’t have to stress.
- It’s very petite and weighs only 5 ounces!
- The Magnetic snap is also powerful, and unlike many other MagSafe chargers, it can stay on the phone without losing grip.
- It has a quick USB C input and output for fast charging of the battery pack or your phone.
- This only works with compatible magnetic phone cases and iPhones that are magnetic: iPhone 12 and up.
- It cannot be turned off when attached to the phone, so you have to remember to take it off when it has done its job; otherwise, you’ll run down the battery.
- We wouldn’t recommend this charger for the iPhone 12 mini or 13 minis because the charger is an awkward fit due to size.
9. The Most Durable Solar Power Bank For Travel
Solar Powered Portable Charger
We love it: when you’re out trekking through the ruins of Pompeii, and it will take a whole day with no access to electricity, you’ll need this solar power bank! Also, if you are an outdoorsy person who likes hiking while traveling, you’ll love this solar power bank charger because it can be charged via solar power when in a pinch. The charger also is exceptionally durable with helpful features such as a waterproof battery and rugged protection.
Solar Power Bank Specs:
- Weight: This portable charger for travel is surprisingly not as heavy as expected. It weighs in at 306 g.
- Dimension: 2.59 in W and 5.47 inches L with a thickness of 0.79 inches, so you can easily fit in your bag or clip it on top for solar charging.
- 20,000 mAh: No need to worry about running out of battery, this travel power bank is packed to last you the whole day.
- Dual USB charging so you can charge multiple devices at once.
- Dustproof, Waterproof IPX4, and Shockproof.
- It can also be re-charged in emergencies via solar power.
- It has a hook so you can clip it onto your bag for hands-free charging.
- Built-in Double bright LED light can change via three different settings: Steady, Strobe and SOS mode.
- Built-in compass! You never know when you’ll need this!
- You have to only charge it via outlets or computer for the first 2-3 charges, each being a 10-hour session; this is for the battery to activate entirely. It seems like a weird step, but if you are unaware of it, pack it up and expect it to function on the day of the trip, you’ll quickly realize it’s not working correctly because you didn’t follow the steps.
- The solar charging perk is unique and great for emergencies but charges slowly at only 1.5 V.
Traveling With a Power Bank FAQ
Yes, you can bring a battery bank while traveling on a plane. There are battery size limits, so make sure to double-check the allowed limit for airlines before flying with a power bank.
Yes, you can bring a power bank on a flight if it’s in your carry-on.
The Tsa restriction is 27,000mah or less for power banks per passenger.
The TSA restrictions for portable chargers limit the size of battery packs being flown on airlines to 100Wh.
No, Power banks must be packed in your carry-on; it’s a flammable item, so it’s not allowed in the checked luggage area.
We highly do not recommend this; plugging a portable charger into itself is a fire hazard, and it could ruin your battery pack.
A 20,000 mAh is best for long journeys; you’ll be able to get a few charges out of it per full charge.
No, 30,000 mAh is too large of a power bank for flights. Instead, bring a 20,000 mAh battery pack, and if you have someone with you, have them bring another, as the guidelines are per person.
TSA will confiscate your lithium battery; they will also leave a note that they checked your bag. Keep in mind you could be fined and or prosecuted for failing to follow TSA guidelines.
Yes, TSA will confiscate lithium batteries that are packed in checked luggage. You could also be fined and/or prosecuted for disobeying the rules.
Yes, checked bags are scanned for lithium batteries and other dangerous or illegal materials.
That wraps up what we think are the best power banks for travel! Let us know if this list helped you plan for your next trip and if you’d like to see more posts like this. If you ended up buying one, let us know what you think below. Also, if you think there’s a better portable power bank than what we listed, comment below, as we want to be as knowledgeable as possible about new and reliable travel products.